Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Marshmallow fondant recipe


Ingredients:
16 ounces white mini marshmallows.
2 -5 tablespoons water
lbs powdered sugar
1/2 cup Crisco



Directions:


  • 1.    Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave or double boiler: Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted.



  • 2.    It usually takes about 2 ½ minutes total. Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix.


    3.    Now grease your hands generously and then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle.


  • 4.    Start kneading like you would bread dough. 





  • 5.    Keep kneading, it gets pretty sticky.  Add the rest of the powdered sugar and knead some more.





  • 6.    Re-grease your hands and counter when the fondant is sticking. If the mix is tearing easily, it is to dry, so add water (about ½ tablespoon at a time then knead it in). It usually takes me about 8 minutes to get a firm smooth elastic ball so that it will stretch without tearing when you apply it to the cake.





  • 7.    Its best if you can let it sit, double wrapped, overnight (but you can use it right away if there are no tiny bits of dry powdered sugar). If you do see them, you will need to knead and maybe add a few more drops of water.





  • 8.    Prepare the fondant for storing by coating it with a good layer of Crisco shortening, wrap in a plastic- type wrap product and then put it in a re-sealable or Ziploc bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible.





  • 9.    MM Fondant will hold very well in the refrigerator for weeks.












  • 18 comments:

    Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

    You did a nice job with the cakes, Zaylyn. Thank you for participating at Joy of Desserts and welcome to our group. Just a friendly reminder to link to your post and not your main blog so that people can find it even weeks or months from now, and please link back to me too. The more people know about it, the more people can visit you and the more blogs you can discover too. :-) Looking forward to more recipes from you.

    Comfy cuisine said...

    Hi Zaylan, Thanks for stopping by Comfy Cuisine!
    Happy to follow you...your cakes look awesome!

    Sunray Gardens said...

    What a beautiful cake. Don't think I would have the patience for that but sure would enjoy eating it. :) Thanks for stopping by.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    Style, Decor & More said...

    Wow Zaylyn! You've left me speechless!
    All I can say is "Amazing!"
    nancy

    Lovely Light said...

    Hi there, thanks for checking out my blog- I'm a new follower! This recipe sounds so good, unfortunately, at least two of the ingredients are ones that I can't find here in SA. All the cakes look AMAZING!!!

    Anonymous said...

    Beautiful cakes! I'm glad you found my blog on the hop, because now I have found yours. A happy new follower, here!

    Kirsten

    Shaheen said...

    All are amazing - you are so talented.
    But as a gardener, I especially adore the ladybug cake.

    I've only seen Crisco in American style shops in the U.K.

    Deepthi KR said...

    Wow, they look awesome dear!
    ThnX for stopping by my blog, happy to follow you back.....
    I'm looking for a wonderful cake, can you help me? Aug 5th is my husbands b'day.
    thank you,
    tc

    Maureen said...

    Yum!

    Julie said...

    Your cakes look gorgeous--great job! Thanks for following me and I am following you back :)

    The Farm Girl

    Grandma Bonnie said...

    Marshmallow fondant has a better taste than regular fondant. These cakes are beautiful.

    Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

    I've made this fondant too and I love it! Your cakes are adorable :)

    Sabrina Lopez said...

    Yummy!
    Dropping by from Blog Hop, your newest follower :)

    Judy said...

    Your cakes are beautiful. Thanks for following my blog:)

    Chef in Training said...

    these are amazing! I am a new follower from the hop and would love it if you would follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    Denise McDonough said...

    oh my friend makes a fondant like this! YUMMY

    Andie Jaye said...

    you have some amazing cakes! what an fun talent and hobby to have! thanks for stopping by the other day!!

    Candi said...

    Wow, love the fondant and your cakes are absolutely fantastic!! LOVE the ladybug cake. I'll have to try and see if I can do as good a job as you did. (I doubt it, but sure gonna give it a go). Thanks for sharing